Insights Without Borders: Leveraging a News API to Access News from Multiple Countries
It’s a global market. Frequently, what happens in a remote corner of the world – even one in which you have no dealings – can directly affect your customers in unexpected ways. This is why more and more product managers and data scientists are integrating feeds of structured web data from different countries and in different languages into their automated solutions – because insights aren’t limited by borders.
In this post, we’ll take a look at how a news API can help generate international, contextual insights at scale by using multilingual news data from multiple sources around the world.
In a global market, local news counts, too
If your customer’s US-based factory produces widgets used in coffee processing machines primarily sold in South America – you may not be closely monitoring current events in the Hindi-language press in India. Yet if a local labor dispute is unfolding in the Indian province that produces 90% of the world’s supply of key raw material for coffee processing – it has the potential to dramatically affect your customer’s customers, and thus your customer, too.
This type of supply chain issue happens every day – often with dramatic effects on business. That’s why closely monitoring news in all languages and geographies can be critical to distilling insights on a scale suitable for players on the global stage.
An advanced news API provides crucial information that can impact your business by enabling more effective:
- Media intelligence – For brand monitoring, sentiment analysis, reputational risk assessment, and more – a quality news API automatically scans millions of stories from media platforms, blogs, and influencers in multiple geographies and multiple languages. It also loops in accurate readership, audience, sentiment, engagement, and other metadata. The end result: a better assessment of each brand’s share of voice and reach – helping you offer your clients guidelines for their influencer strategies, benchmarking for their competitors, accurate audience demographics, and much more.
- Financial monitoring – Financial monitoring, competitive benchmarking, sales intelligence, and similar automated monitoring solutions are only as effective as the data that powers them. To bridge the gap between the massive volume of financial and market information in every country and the need to process that information into actionable insights – a news API helps automated financial monitoring solutions get multilingual data at scale in near real-time. This automates financial monitoring and offers a more complete picture of the events and trends that impact financial markets.
- Risk intelligence and management – Risk doesn’t know borders, either. Effective risk intelligence helps your customers stay ahead of the game – arming them with vital information about emerging risks so they can make more informed decisions. A multilingual news API facilities all aspects of risk management – from third-party risk to supply chain risk, from adverse media screening to ESG risk, including reputational risks. The right news API can scan millions of articles from across the globe, integrating all relevant data sources into actionable global-local insights.
What can a powerful news API with global coverage do for you?
A powerful news API with global coverage can be a game-changer for any customer regardless of their home geography, offering:
- Faster identification of trends and coverage – A news API can help you identify trends for your customers by providing news and coverage data from different countries and languages. This offers an automatically aggregated and automatically analyzed international perspective on any topic or market and is particularly useful if you are analyzing trends or events that are happening in different parts of the world.
- Better accuracy – English-language press is not always the most accurate and updated, even in developed countries. By using a news API that can handle multiple languages and news sources in each locality – and across regions – you can obtain far more accurate and up-to-date perspectives. By avoiding reliance on biased or outdated sources, you can avoid inaccurate insights.
- Better cost-effectiveness – An advanced and automated news API is far more cost-effective than manually collecting and analyzing news articles from different sources or using local news scrapers. With a news API, you can automate the process of gathering and analyzing news, saving time and resources while delivering a more accurate and comprehensive point of view.
- More scalable – Understanding global/local trends requires flexible scanning and parsing capacity. A news API can be easily scaled up or down depending on your needs. This means that you can use the news API to generate insights on a small scale or to analyze large amounts of data in real time.
What’s more, monitoring companies need to keep a close watch for all information relevant to the brands they monitor – regardless of region or language. To find meaningful mentions in a regional market, the local language (frequently multiple languages) is the only solution. For example, to effectively monitor South America, you’ve got to monitor both Spanish and Portuguese. It’s the same across Europe and Asia. An advanced news API, like Webz.io’s, allows you to not only monitor multilingually but also search by language and country.
The bottom line
Coverage is what ensures that a monitoring service can deliver maximum depth of insights across borders and across continents. There is no choice but to constantly scan multiple news sources in multiple countries and in multiple languages – as well as major global sites alongside smaller local niche sites. A news API is the most efficient and effective way to achieve results at this scale cost-effectively.
To get started on your news API journey, take a look at Webz.io’s free News API web data offering. Available in machine-readable JSON formats from across the globe, this free resource offers you access to structured news data from over 75 million websites in all languages.
Ready to get started with a fully-featured multilingual news API? Talk to one of our experts today!